This year’s day to judge some of Kansas City’s newest homes was, sunny and full of beautiful homes. It was again time to judge the Kansas City Home and Garden magazine’s 2011 Home of the Year awards.
- • I look for unusual and unexpected design solutions that work beautifully
- • Note smooth layouts
- • Search for special details (especially those that work for the land or homeowner specifically)
- • Examine quality of materials and craftsmanship
- • Reward green design
- • Want thinking outside of the box (instead of a “me too” design) that ultimately adds value to the property and/or the lives of those that will live there
- • Notice location
- • Judge the overall feel and look of the space. Not only must the home’s design work, it must be outstanding.
- • Did the architect waste space or leave any small, funny areas the homeowners won’t know what to do with?
- • Were the niches, built-ins and/or lighting intended to be centered but didn’t quite make it?
- • Is the interior cabinet hardware going to last or did the builder cut a corner where no one would look?
- • What about window placement? Vent placement?
- • Does the entry have a “WOW” feel?
- • Does the exterior complement the land and interior?
- • How would someone live in the space and make it their own?
- • Were the designers innovative while respecting the style of the structure?
- • Were their solutions unique, without going into Oddville?
- • Is the selling price appropriate?
Enjoyed this blog? Follow us on facebook.
Make it fab!
Click here to DISCOVER ALL OF JILL’S LATEST BLOGS FULL OF GREAT DESIGN, TIPS AND INSPIRATION
Tell me what’s on your mind. I love hearing from you!
Jill Tran is a Kansas City Interior Designer and creates beautiful, custom interiors for her interior design clients in Kansas City and clients around the country.