Wallpaper is experiencing a resurgence and the papers available are full of color, materials and frankly many look like art!! So we all know that wallpaper is terrific on walls, but we been exploring how to take this trend a step further by using it in unexpected ways.
- Ceilings. We’ve seen the trend of painting ceilings but we love using wallpaper! Wallpaper on a ceiling could add texture, color and/or sparkle to a room without overwhelming the space. For clients in Central Kansas, we used wallpapered ceilings throughout their space and it became the icing on the cake of their dream home.
- Niches or wall insets. Take advantage of interesting nooks and crannies by wallpapering the back of the space and installing shelves. This gives a ‘built-in’ feel to an odd space or creates a beautiful backdrop for your decorative items displayed on shelves.
- Backsplashes. An inexpensive and simple way to create a look for your kitchen. If done properly, it can even be used safely in a water area!
We have new favorite wallpaper materials and imagery that we are loving to use and old favorites that we still love for a variety of reasons.
- Wood veneer. This type of wallpaper gives an expensive wood detailed look for a fraction of the cost. And there is an array of colors available from traditional stains to modern colors.
- Murals and Photos. We love these because they are art pieces and make an incredible statement in a room whether you are showcasing one wall or all walls.
- Vinyl. Wallpaper made from vinyl is fairly indestructible and very cleanable. The pattern, color, imagery and finish make this a great choice for offices, commercial spaces and for homes as well.
- Grasscloth. This traditional look would give a current “natural” feel to a room and always conveys a high end style.
Whether you are a wallpaper lover or naysayer, there are so many new and exciting options out there that break out of whatever you think about wallpaper and its uses. Now is the time to explore new applications and new patterns and materials to create your perfect living space!!
Take a look at some other wallpaper inspiration we’ve found on Pinterest and from the Tran + Thomas Design Archive. Enjoy!
ABOUT TRAN + THOMAS
Approaching 40 years in the business of Interior Design
Originally founded in 1982, family-owned Tran + Thomas Design Studio has emerged as a top leader in Interior Architecture, Interior Design, and Product Selection. Our team brings extraordinary beauty and luxury to homes, offices and other commercial properties in the Kansas City area and beyond. There are no tired formulas or leftover recipes used in our work, but rather an approach that starts with heightened imagination and a practiced design philosophy and ends with happy clients residing in a beautiful space. For over a quarter century we have turned dreams into reality by first imagining the ultimate interior and then determining how to achieve that interior.
Building new homes and commercial properties, remodeling, finding the perfect furnishings…
We are well versed working with architects and builders: constructing new homes, remodeling tired (outdated) spaces, and redesigning/refreshing one room or an entire house. Our breathtaking Interior Design is famous for being a reflection of the uniquely different styles of our clients personalities. Jill and Carmen have extensive experience designing traditional, transitional, and modern homes to dental offices, sports arenas, restaurants, retail and other commercial spaces!
A wonderful and better source for furnishings
Jill Tran and Carmen Thomas have, and continue to, research, gather and curate wonderful resources for the homes and businesses of their clients. When working with us, clients gain access to 250+ fabulous designer lines which include upholstered furnishings (sofas, chairs, beds), casegoods (tables, cabinets and furniture without upholstery), lighting (table lamps, sconces and chandeliers), fabrics (for upholstery, pillows and drapery), custom drapes, rugs, antiques of all kinds, bedding, artwork, and more. Our clients also have access to specialized craftsmen, artists, and suppliers to create that one of kind space that is unique to them
Why Tran + Thomas?
The choice of whom you work with on your home or office is absolutely everything. Knowledge of what is available, creativity, organization, dependability, trust, sources, contacts, education, respect, personality and the ability to interpret and bring to life your needs only comes from one place…experience. Tran + Thomas has that in spades!
We hope you will consider Tran + Thomas for your next design project!